Sunday, March 4, 2007

Less Traveled Road

The road less traveled sucks

And what is the road less traveled anyway? Someone once said that the road less traveled is just a trick of retrospect. That no matter what you choose its going to be a beautiful life. Thats great and all, but I have a hard time buying into it. When the two roads are staring you down waiting for a decision, its hard not to think that one of the roads might end in at a nuclear waste site (like the one's just approved by the legislature and the Governor didn't veto or sign, he just let the bill pass into law. Coward.) Except that both my roads probably end up waiting tables for the rest of my life.

Being an actor is no fansy-pants strut down the yellow brick road. If you hate applying for a job once every few years (if that) then try having to audition for a new job every six months. You have 90 seconds to prove yourself, and even if you're talented you might be too fat, too tall, or not attractive enough. And sometimes they just tell you that. So when you applaud at the end of a show, remember that you're applauding away all the rejection that someone went through to end up finally getting a part.

I made a big decision this week. I got about 14 offers from companies for work this summer. I know, woe is me, I have to pick which job offer sounds the best. It was a pretty broad spectrum too. One offer was to be the back-up singer in a touring Hank Williams tribute band, one for a milkman, a roman soldier, a history teacher...the list goes on. The most popular show for the summer is definately Thoroughly Modern Millie. I got three offers for Jimmy and one for Trevor. Oddly enough, the highest paying contract was to be a clogger in an outdoor variety musical in the middle of no where.

I narrowed it down to two choices and then got really sick about them.

I know the road less traveled ok. I'm a road less traveled kind of guy. I moved to France by myself when I was 16. I take jobs that don't pay well because I love the work. I make choices that might seem drastic because I know that they're right. I live my life out of the box. At least I try to.

That's faith for you, I guess. Close your eyes and just make the best decision you can. Trust that its going to work out for you.

So, I took the contract at Tuacahn playing Freddy in My Fair Lady and understudying the Prince in Cinderella and Billy in 42nd Street. I'll take my Actor's Equity card at the end of the fall.

Maybe you can't see the road less traveled sometimes because you're on it.

No comments: